Credit: Created by Jeanne Stevenson, RD, for Heart Smart and tested by Susan Selasky for the Free Press Test Kitchen. 362 calories (20% from fat), 8 grams fat (2 grams sat. fat, 0 grams trans fat), 46 grams carbohydrates, 28 grams protein, 586 mg sodium, 53 mg cholesterol, 185 mg calcium, 4 grams fiber.
Creamy Balsamic Vinaigrette over Greek Salad Pitas
Four Servings/ Preparation time: 15 minutes / Total time: 20 minutes
- 1/2 cup garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 ounces cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber
- 1/2 cup diced cooked beets
- 3 tablespoons plain fat-free yogurt
- 2 tablespoons Modena aceto balsamico balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic, finely minced
- 4 (6-inch diameter) pita bread rounds, halved crosswise
- 8 lettuce leaves
Combine the garbanzo beans, chicken, tomato, feta cheese, cucumber and beets in a medium bowl.
In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and garlic.
Pour the dressing mixture over meat-and-vegetable mixture and toss to combine.
Line the pita halves with lettuce leaves. Spoon the salad mixture into the pita halves and serve.
balsamic vinaigrette, Greek pitas recipe