Roasted tomatoes in this flavorful warm salsa makes a Chicken Scallopini special. You will need deli thin-sliced chicken for the scallopini, or slice boneless, skinless chicken breast halves. This recipe would also work well with turkey cutlets.
- 2 pints stemmed cherry or grape tomatoes, large ones cut into quarters, smaller ones cut in half
- 1 medium sweet onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea Salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 ½ pounds thin-sliced boneless, skinless chicken breasts (eight ¼-inch slices)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
Heat the oven to 300 degrees.
In a large bowl, toss together the tomatoes, onion and oil; add salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a shallow baking dish or roasting pan. Bake until the tomatoes are soft and the mixture bubbles, 50 to 60 minutes. Set aside and keep warm.
About 15 minutes before the tomatoes are finished, start cooking the chicken. Sprinkle the scallopine with salt and pepper to taste. In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add the vegetable oil and butter. When hot, add enough chicken cutlets to fit in the pan without crowding. Cook until lightly browned on one side, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn and cook another 2 to 3 minutes or until cooked through. Set aside and keep warm. Repeat with remaining chicken.
Divide the scallopine among individual plates. Spoon ¼ of the roasted tomato mixture down the center of each portion. Serve immediately. Makes 4 servings.
oil and vinegar recipe, chicken pasta recipe