Makes 4-6 servings This pasta salad is ideal for picnics because it has no immediate perishable ingredients. It also works well on a salad or buffet table with cold cuts and other salads. As an addition, cold poached salmon, smoked salmon, or tuna can be added 1 lb dried pasta, use fusilli or farfalle pasta.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove pressed through a garlic press
- 1 tablespoon Modena balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup Sicilian-style green olives, pitted and finely chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped roasted red bell pepper. (*see note)
- 2 green onions, cut into thin slices about one inch long
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 pinch of fresh oregano, marjoram, or thyme
- Sea Salt
- Black pepper, ground fresh
In a large pot bring to a rapid boil, salted water. Carefully pour pasta into boiling water. Stir and cook until al dente. When pasta is done, drain in a colander for a few minutes, then transfer to a large mixing bowl.
While paste is hot, add olive oil to the pasta and toss well. Add pressed garlic, balsamic vinegar, olives, bell pepper, green onions, parsley and selected herb. Toss again to mix well. Season to taste with sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Let cool and serve at room temperature.
* Note: Roasted peppers have a great smoked or smoky flavor. Roasted peppers are available at many gourmet stores and shops. Roasted peppers can be roasted under the broiler by evenly scorching the skins. When cool enough to touch, you can rub the skins off, and remove the seeds. Cut or dice for desired recipe.
pasta salad, picnic pasta salad, healthy salad recipe