The vine ripe tomato is a staple ingredient in most Italian food recipes. Add basil and a little extra virgin olive oil with fresh grated mozzarella and this appetizer becomes a quick and easy way to provide a starter for any meal. This recipe is simple but is only as good as the freshness of the ingredients you use.
Prep Time 10 minutes
- Two vine ripened tomatoes sliced in quarter-inch slices, yellow tomatoes or substitute heirloom red tomatoes
- 12 large whole basil leaves, fresh not dried
- one half pound fresh mozzarella cheese cut into quarter-inch slices
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- three tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, unfiltered
Place sliced tomatoes around the edge of a serving dish. You can slightly overlap the slices. On top of each slice place a fresh large basil leaf. Top each leave with a generous slice of mozzarella cheese. Season to taste with salt and fresh ground pepper. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil over the tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella cheese. Serve immediately.Drizzle of Italian balsamic vinegar is optional.
Makes four servings.
tomatoes and mozzarella, hors d’oeuvres recipe,