This wonderful vegetable salad yields about 4 servings and is excellent as a main course.
You will need:
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon green onion or reconstituted onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound medium red potatoes, not peeled and cut into thick slices, or an equal amount of canned potatoes
- 1 head lettuce, if available
- 8 ounces canned French-style green beans or regular green beans
- 12 cherry tomatoes (if available), each piece cut in half
- 1 (12 ounce) can tuna packed in water, drained and flaked
- 2 large hard cooked eggs, each peeled and cut into quarters
- ½ cup olives
Prepare your dressing first; for the dressing, mix in a small bowl the vinegar, lemon juice, green onion or onion flakes, mustard, sugar, and pepper until everything is well blended. Boil the potatoes in a pot over high heat, or use drained canned potatoes to save you from the trouble.
After the potatoes have been cooked, your salad is now ready to be assembled. Pour half of the prepared dressing into a medium sized bowl and tossing the lettuce leaves in it, making sure to evenly coat each one. Line the dressed lettuce leaves on a platter. Arrange the other ingredients of the salad – potatoes, green beans, cherry tomatoes, tuna, eggs, and olives – in separate piles on top of the lettuce leaves. Drizzle the remaining dressing over the salad and serve.
olive oil, nicoise salad, nicoise recipe